Our History

Shaping Young Lives

Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta

For more than 75 years, Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta has been helping kids and teens, especially those who need us most, reach their full potential. We have positively influenced more than 100,000 young lives. Starting with just one Club on Washington Street in 1938, our organization has grown to dozens of locations in and around Atlanta, serving thousands of kids each day.

Over the years, we have grown in number and in service. We now serve both young men and women and have shifted our mission from keeping kids safe to a more ambitious and impactful goal: helping kids and teens on their path toward great futures. Through innovative programs and with the support of skilled and caring staff, our kids are succeeding in school, living healthy, and giving back.

Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta

History Highlights

Boys Girls Club Atlanta History

 In 1938  

The Atlanta Boys Club Inc. was established on 314 Washington Street. Jim Woolfolk, a probation officer with the juvenile court of Fulton County, petitioned to form the Club to address a growing trend of youth delinquency in the South Atlanta area.

 In 1951  

Camp Kiwanis was established to provide youth in and around the city with adventures in the great outdoors.

 In 1952  

Metropolitan Atlanta Girls Club opened on Formwalt Street. In the early years, many Girls Clubs were located in residential buildings including homes and apartments. Programs focused on “training girls for their roles as wives, mothers, and citizens”.

 In 1956  

Boys Clubs of Atlanta changed its name to the Metropolitan Atlanta Boys Club to reflect its growing metropolitan reach.

Boys Girls Club Atlanta History Photo

 In 1963  

Metropolitan Atlanta Boys Club was recognized by Boys Clubs of America as a “model Boys Club city”. The organization had grown to four locations and now served more than 4,000 thousand at-risk boys.

 In 1977  

The first Keystone Club was formed to help members build leadership skills and give back to their communities.

 In 1990  

Boys Club of Metro Atlanta and Metro Atlanta Girls Club merged to become Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta. The merger allowed these organizations to pool resources, strengthen the overall brand, and serve more young men and women.

BGCMA history
BGCMA logo
Boys and Girls Club Atlanta History
Boys Girls Club Atlanta History
BGCMA history
BGCMA history

 In 1994  

The College Bound program was established to help youth pursue post-secondary education. Skilled mentors and staff kicked off the program, teaching young students how to prepare for testing, manage their time, and apply for financial aid.

 In 1996  

The Youth Art Connection opened on Auburn Avenue, offering youth a space to learn about, create, and exhibit art. Workshops focused on topics including fine arts, photography, theatre, creative writing, and film.

 In 2012  

Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta welcomed Condoleezza Rice as the keynote speaker of our “Be Great: Speaker Series.” During her speech, she shared inspiring words with supporters, staff, and kids about her personal journey toward leadership.

 In 2013  

Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta celebrated 75 years in Atlanta with an interactive art exhibit profiling the stories of exceptional kids, alumni, and staff.

 These Programs Help Kids Succeed









Character &



Success Stories

“It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” – Nelson Mandela

At Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Atlanta, we see success day in and day out! From our kids to our staff to the supporters that make our work possible, we’re surrounded by everyday heroes. Find out how our Club family is helping make their communities and the world a better place.


Want to Learn More?

Check out more about our Clubs and find out how you can get involved.






BGCMA staff and kids

Stay up-to-date!

Sign up for our e-news today


Support Your Local
Boys & Girls Clubs

Great Futures Start Here